GRATITUDE :It’s been proven that the act of gratitude helps individuals maintain and better their health. “Clinical trials indicate that the practice of gratitude can have dramatic and lasting effects in a person’s life. It can lower blood pressure and improve immune function… grateful people engage in more exercise, have better dietary behaviors, are less likely to smoke and abuse alcohol, and have higher rates of medication adherence.”– American Heart Association News, Gratitude is a healthy attitude.
It’s no secret we at Om House Yoga believe in the power of being Grateful! Having Gratitude can really be a double-edged sword. When you truly have gratitude in your life you start to realize how much the world is in need of love, compassion, self-awareness and living with what you have and in the moment. We are surrounded by a world focusing on more and what’s next.
My child was at a birthday party the other day where the children were given the opportunity to go bowling. They were having a blast and about mid-way through the event children started to ask if they got to go play laser tag. Two things crossed my mind in this moment – one being that the children stopped living in that moment, being grateful for the fun they were having and already moving to the “what’s next mentality”.
How can we change these habits, routines, comments from the outside world. I know that I’m consistently struggling with the comparisons, to do lists, what’s next, where to go and what to do. I have found simple pleasure and the stress slowly coming out of my life by these simple changes of my routine.
- Get outside daily. Feel the breeze, bitter cold and warm. Watch the clouds, be by water and just BREATH
- Do yoga + meditation daily- 7 minutes of self practice works + 10 minutes of silence of the mind. Start with just counting the breath with your eyes closed or repeat “Gratitude” over and over in the mind—This will help you create space for growth
- Unfollow people on social media that are constantly posting about themselves. Know that most followers on social channels can be BOTS developed to make it look like followers. Strive to not compare followers- It’s a made up thing- Wouldn’t you rather have impactful followers that are humans and not just a large number of paid BOTS.
- No Devices after dinner—Bring Back dinner as a family and device free.
- Watch children play, talk and interact. Just observe. Learn how to say yes and no like a child again. They hold no fear in either word. They don’t over extend or protect themselves from those words.
- Just love and be loved. Remind yourself you don’t know what others are going through. Love them hard even when they are hard to love.
Practice Gratitude this month to practice Healthy Heart Living!